Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Paninis! (and no, not the bar on campus...)

Over the past week or so, I've tried two different paninis from Lean Cuisine.
They are both kind of similar, so I'm just going to review them together:
Steak, Cheddar, and Mushroom & Philly style Steak and cheese
You'll notice that pretty much any dish that features "mushrooms" gets thrown into the basket at the grocery for me- I'm a huge fan! Thats what caught my eye on that panini... steak in frozen meals scares me sometimes, but I went ahead and tried these anyway- I guess I was in a daring mood.
I've tried panini's before from LC, and the problem always seems to be that they aren't filling at all- which is odd considering they have more fat than most of the other meals (9g). I paired my "sandwich" with a small salad, which helped fill me up. Overall, these meals are just ok... it seems like I can never get them to cook just right-- either the cheese in the middle isn't melted enough, or the edges get really hard. The cheese is satisfying, as is the bread, and I usually eat mine as two separate "open faced" sandwiches because its too messy to actually build a sandwich. The steak was actually ok on these- not tough or chewy like I expected.
I might try out a few with chicken to see how those are, and of course I'll report back--- but for now my conclusion is- if you can get your microwave to cook these properly (and look, mine was $20 bought off of some college kid so it might be my microwave with the problem) they are worth a shot.
Grade: B-

The Facts:
Steak, Cheddar and Mushroom
Cals: 340 Fat: 9g Fiber: 4g Protein: 20g WW points: 7
Philly style Steak and Cheese
Cals: 340 Fat: 9g Fiber: 4g Protein: 21g WW points: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment