Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lean Cuisine Stuffed Cabbage

Maybe its my upcoming trip to the old country, or just curiousity, but finally, after years of wondering I finally manned up and purchased Lean Cuisine's Stuffed Cabbage. This particular dish has boggled my mind for years... since I started eating LC's! I would always see this one and wonder "who buys this?!". It just didn't look appetizing to me. Since I started this blog I've meant to pick it up and "take one for the team" and try it out.
This past weekend I was visiting my family (which includes a bunch of Ukrainians who love cabbage in any form) and when I arrived for dinner learned that my aunt and grandma had made 3 huge pots of stuffed cabbage. This, along with the comforting thought that a 92 year old woman enjoys this LC, was the final push I needed to purchase this meal.
So last night I decided it was time. This was one of those "dont cut a vent in the plastic and just cook for 7 minutes" kind of meal. I took a quick shower while it was cooking and when I was finished I could smell the cabbage coming from my kitchen! Having eastern European genes this is a comforting smell... and it was time to give it a try...
I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised! The cabbage was a great texture and tasted really good and authentic. The tomato sauce that accompanied it was also really good! The filling was ok- obviously not as good as what I had experienced over the weekend, but coming from the freezer aisle, not bad at all. And as an added bonus-- a side of whipped potatos! I never thought I would say this, but I enjoyed this dish! It was filling and tasty- and I liked that I could "set it and forget it" in the microwave- no stopping, stirring, recovering (I know, life is hard...).
Overall- I would say to give this one a try if you like cabbage. If you don't like cabbage- 1) your crazy and 2) you'll hate this.
I think I will be adding this into my list of old stand-bys.
NOTE- this might be one to just make at home, unless you're trying to make your whole office mad by stinking up the break room- the cabbage scent is pretty strong!
I also want to throw in that this is only 4 weight watchers points! One of the lowest on any meals I've tried!

The Facts:
Cals:210 Fat:6g Fiber:3g Protein:10g WWpoints: 4

2 comments:

  1. i can only comment by laughing! i might have to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a freezer selection, this is actually pretty good and I know from being a stuffed cabbage maker from way back when my grandma taught me.

    Glad you got to try it and liked it. It's definitely on my "keeper" list too.

    ReplyDelete