Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Things are Getting Steamy!

Three new STEAMED options to review today! As usual, the HC dishes get thumbs up, and one new brand to share too!

Birds Eye Garlic Herb Shrimp
This is advertised as "meal for one", and is full of shrimp, pasta, veggies, and a delicious garlic sauce. First off, this meal cost $6.50 at the grocery store-- definitely on the high end for frozen meals! I was a little hesitant to even buy this, but I thought I would take one for the team. Yes, I do realize this dish at a restaurant would cost way more than $6.50, but it was a little sticker shock next to the 3 for $10 SmartOnes! For $6.50 I could get a LC AND a bottle of Crane Lake...
Basically, when you open the box, there is just a big paper bag that you just throw in the microwave for the proper time. Then when the microwave is done, your meal is complete! I even had time for an "easy mac shower" while it cooked (in college we would put an Easy-Mac in the microwave and jump in the shower for a quick rinse. It was perfect timing, since the powder cheese had to set up for a few minutes anyway... probably too much information there, oops!)
This is definitely a hardy meal-- plenty of pasta and around 7-8 shrimp, along with more than enough brocoli. I did find the shrimp a little "fishy", so I would be concerned trying one of the other fish entrees.
Overall, the taste of the sauce, and all components of this dish tasted really good, but not worth the high price tag. I'd stick to our usual brands.
**I'll try to add the nutritional info later- I can't seem to find it online! I do remember it was around 500 calories and more fat than usual.

Now, onto one of my best discoveries of this blog, Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers:
Sweet & Spicy Orange Zest Chicken
They were right on with the "sweet and spicy"! Great taste on this dish, and just the right amount of kick. You already know I'm a fan of these, so no surprise that this one is also a fast favorite.
At work we have stir-fry day on Thursdays-- this would be a great alternative to the white rice, sauce drenched version they serve!
Definitely recommend any of the "Asian Inspired" dishes!
The Facts:
Cals:290 Fat:4g Fiber:6g Protein:17g WW points:5

Chicken Pesto Classico
Another successful dish! This meal was so delicious and satisfying. The aroma was also nice and the pesto sauce was awesome! Again, the quality was chicken was good, and the pasta really helped fill me up.
I would 100% recommend this dish to anyone- I know I'll be buying it again soon! Note the 9g of fat-- a little high, but worth it!
The Facts:
Cals:320 Fat:9g Fiber:4g Protein:19g WW points:6

There is also a "Mediterranean Inspired" line of these steamers, so I'll try to pick one up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment