Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Takin' it Back--- Old School SmartOnes

Hi Freezer Fans!
This week I stocked up on old school "Classic" SmartOnes selections (they were on sale and I'm trying to save money, so sorry for the not-so-exciting post) and thought I would do a special feature on those dishes that are always there, but we might pass by because they don't sound as "cool" as the new ones ("ohh paninis!!! ohhh brick oven pizza!"). Overall, I've been pleasantly surprised!

Spicy Szechuan Style Vegetable & Chicken
There are few things that I love about this dish: the noodles (thick and plentiful) and the sauce (spicy, but not too spicy). Generally speaking, the chicken in SmartOnes are not my favorite, but the veggies and features mentioned above help make this dish pretty delicious. I found myself wanting more noodles to soak up the extra sauce-- no shortage of that!
If you're looking for a meal with a "kick", try this one!
The Facts:
Cals:240 Fat:5g Fiber:4g Protein:11g WW points:4

Three Cheese Macaroni
I usually pass over this one because it doesn't seem like a real meal to me, more of a side dish- I dont know, maybe I just like meat in my meals... The macaroni is actually not bad, but the cheese part is, well, just ok. Its a little too runny for my taste, and doesn't have much flavor. I was even trying to think of ways to use this as a base for some other sort of meal-- maybe add chicken or bacon bits or something? Broccoli? Maybe I'll give that a try- I'll let you know what I come up with!
Another downside-- I didn't feel satisfied at all, and it has more calories, fat, and WWpoints than the other dishes in this post- and those actually fill me up!
The Facts:
Cals:300 Fat:6g Fiber:3g Protein:14g WW points:6

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
I've always liked this one to keep in the freezer for those nights your craving pasta. If you read this blog a lot, you know my passion for mushrooms, which is featured in this dish. The meat sauce isn't too "meaty", but offers great flavor (the onions help too!!) and the texture of the pasta is great. I know its super easy to make pasta at home, but a plus to this alternative is 1)you don't have to wait for water to boil, and 2) portion size! Is it just me, or when you make pasta do you tend to make wayyy too much, then eat it anyway? This definitely helps keep you on track.
The Facts:
Cals:290 Fat:5g Fiber:5g Protein:16g WW points:5

Note: First off, lost anther couple pounds since the last report, and went down a size in jeans-- all thanks to the freezer aisle!!!
Second, I'll be away from a computer... really far away... for the next week, so no new posts until then. I'll be in Eastern Europe, so maybe I'll come back with reviews of pierogies, vodka, and Borsch??
While I'm away feel free to post "Taste Buds" in the comments section!!

No comments:

Post a Comment