Thursday, February 25, 2010

Morning Quickie

Good Morning!

If you work with me, or see me in the mornings, you know my day doesn't get really get started until I've had a cup of coffee and most likely, a breakfast bar of some sort. Back in high school I started eating NutriGrain bars in the morning and have never really steered far from them! Here are a few reviews of popular breakfast bars:
Special K bars-- wasted my time with these for years! These do not offer enough protein/ fiber to get your day going. I strongly suggest going for more of a "health bar". I would find myself hungry after an hour or so!
Luna bars-- my "go to"... these offer around 8g of protein and 5g of fiber. So many delicious flavors to pick from, and so easy to just throw in your bag and eat on your way to work! Personal favorite flavors- Blueberry Bliss, White Chocolate Macadamia, Peanut butter cookie.
SoyJoy-- the texture on these is a little "off"... I was first drawn to them because there was a mango coconut flavor (one of my faves) but they left me really gassy and uncomfortable. They also only have around 4g of protein; half of Luna.
Fiber One bars-- Only for someone with a strong stomach. Because these have 9g of fiber, they did a number on my tummy. Even after a week of trying to get used to them I just couldn't. I felt gassy and bloated for days!! Left me sooo uncomfortable. Also, the measly 2g of protein did nothing for me.

My obvious favorite is Luna- they just seem perfect for a quick breakfast or anytime you need a little "pick me up"!
TIP: if you are in a regular grocery store these are NOT with the cereal/special K bars. Look in the vitamin/ supplement section.

3 comments:

  1. Also a fan of the nutrigrain bar, I find that a good substitution when I don't have one is the Trader Joe's brand..."An apple walks into a bar..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite bar: Mint Chocolate Zone Bar. Tastes like a Girl Scout Thin Mint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look for mini Luna bars too! They come in a box of 18 with 3 flavors. Only 80 calories each, so great when you just need a little something!

    ReplyDelete