Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sale on Lean Cuisines = Lean Cuisine Fest 2010

As the title says, Lean Cuisines were on sale this week at my grocery store, so I decided to take advantage of the unbelievable prices and try some meals I don't normally pick up. Overall, it was a good week of meals! I left out my favorite of the week- Lemon Pepper Fish, which you can read about in an earlier post.

Angel Hair Pomodoro
Traditional, boring, not filling-- thats how I would describe this one. I had really never even seen this option at the store, so I thought I'd give it a try. The sauce was just ok (tomato chunks helped add some texture) and the pasta was a little sticky/ chewy. I did not feel satisfied after this dish, and I think we just have much better pasta options available! If this was 10 years ago and there were no options, I'm sure I would say great things about this dish, but come on! I need some flavor, some spice, something! Skip this one and pick up HC Lobster Ravioli or LC Chicken Carbonara if you're in an Italian mood.
The Facts:
Cals:250 Fat:5g Protein:8g Fiber:4g WWpoints:5

Chicken and Vegetables
OK, this title seems like the most generic, unexciting name of a dish you could ever have. But sometimes simplicity is good... and this one of those times! Fresh, flavorful veggies help make this one a winner. Broccoli, peppers, and squash along with the tasty pasta are really delicious-- and the light tomato sauce is a nice addition too! You know I'm not wild about chicken in LC dishes, this one isn't bad. Altogether, this was a good dish. The best? No, but solid. A good staple! I will say, if the veggies weren't so plentiful this dish would be a MISS, but their presence makes it worth recommending!
The Facts:
Cals:240 Fat:5g Protein:23g Fiber:3g WWpoints:5

Meatloaf and Whipped Potatoes
So, maybe if you have never had good meatloaf this would good, but I don't know if it would even work then. The taste, texture, lack of flavor in the meatloaf makes it not very enjoyable... the sauce its in is good, but not enough to make the dish delicious. Of course the potatoes help too!!
Skip this one-- although now I'm kind of motivated to find a GOOD version of this out there- check back for updates on that. But for now, walk past the meatloaf...
The Facts:
Cals:240 Fat:5g Protein:23g Fiber:3g WWpoints:5

Pesto Chicken w/ Bow Tie Pasta
YUM!!! I was warming this up for lunch at work and everyone that walked by commented on the smell! The pesto is really good, and the bow tie pasta is good at "holding" the sauce so you get delicious bites! The chicken also seems better than normal in this one. Another plus- the veggies! Asparagus, peas, sundried tomatoes and pine nuts are all featured and all help make this dish the best reviewed dish this week!!
The Facts:
Cals:340 Fat:9g Protein:23g Fiber:4g WWpoints:7


Note: I've heard rumors/ rumblings of a new Lean Cuisine that is featured in a steam bag! If you have tried this please let me know and you can be a Taste Bud!

2 comments:

  1. A good "meat" loaf recommendation: Amy's Kitchen (I love these meals) Veggie Loaf. It doesn't sound very appetizing, but it is definitely the best frozen "loaf" I've had. The flavor is kicked up a notch with the gravy, and the texture is surprisingly pleasing. It comes with a side of mashed potatoes and peas and corn. Plus, the 10 grams of fiber and 9 grams of protein make it very filling! (290 cals, 8 g fat) Definitely worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathryn-- I'll look into that one!

    ReplyDelete